Drafting and Drawing for the Theater
Course Objectives: By the end of the semester, a student should be able to:
- Sketch out rough ideas for the stage. Set designs, Costume plates, Lighting sketches, etc.
- Draw using one-point, two-point and basic multi-point perspective.
- Use shading to convey highlights, mid-tones and shadows expected in theatrical productions.
- Draft scale ground plans, sections, front elevations, wall elevations and detail drawings that are necessary to communicate with others on the theatrical production team.
- Work effectively with color media. ie, water color paint, etc.
- Show a working portfolio that illustrates the student’s current abilities in the above areas.
To help students see “how” some sketches are done, I post several videos for their review. These are just a few.